4 Takeaways from the Master's to Help You In the Office

4 Takeaways from the Master's to Help You In the Office

It’s a tradition unlike any other, but after enjoying an entire Sunday afternoon of being glued to the TV, it’s time to resume the tradition of our “9-5.”

Here are 4 takeaways of the Masters that can help you in the office:

Even the best can have a bad day. Ernie Els has won 19 times on the PGA Tour, including 4 major championships. He is one of the best golfers in our era, yet he showed he was human on the first hole of this year’s Masters. Els putted 6 times within 3 feet for a score of 9. For perspective, 95% of PGA tour players make a 3 foot put with 1 shot and the other 5% make it on the second. Moments like this in life happen. No one is invincible, don’t get discouraged if you miss a sale or blow a meeting. Everyone is allowed a bad moment, just come back the next day with a new attitude. Els did, he shot +1 on Friday compared to his +8 on Thursday.

Don’t be afraid to ask others for help. Jordan Spieth, the winner of the 2015 Master’s, isn’t afraid to lean on his team around him for support. Jordan wasn’t playing his best on Saturday. After he ended the day with a bogey and double bogey, the 22-year-old requested the presence of his coach, Cameron McCormick.

McCormick received the call from his home in Dallas, TX where he arrived on Wednesday after working with Spieth earlier in the week. The coach flew back to Augusta and was seen working with Jordan at the range on Sunday morning. As we know now, Spieth’s humility to never stop asking for help led him to -5 in the first 9 holes and a 2nd overall finish. Whether you’re the biggest star in golf or the leader in the conference room, no person is too big to ask for help from his or her team.

Don’t let other's expectations be a barrier for your success. Jordan Spieth, Smylie Kaufman, Hideki Matsuyama, and Bernhard Langer were 4 golfers who "made the cut" this past weekend. All four are in different points of their careers, but each, of course, had his hopes on putting on the green jacket. However, leading up to the Master's the media listed numerous reasons why each had an uphill battle and low chances to claim victory. The reasons why:

- the oldest Masters champion ever was 48 years old and Langer is 58
- there has never been an Asian born golfer to win the Masters and Matsyamaa was born in Japan
- an Amateur has never won the masters and Kaufman hasn't claimed his professional status to-date
- there has only been 3 other golfers in the 82 year history of the Masters to win back-to-back and Spieth was the reigning champ.

However, at the end of Saturday, 3/4th of the way through the tournament, all were sitting at the top and giving themselves a chance to defy the expectations put against them. Don’t let your own or anyone else’s expectations stop you from achieving what may not even know is possible.

Give it your all and find a win where you can. Davis Love III finished 42nd, but you never would have known it on Sunday on the 16th when Love pumped his fist in the air as he made a hole-in-one (see above). His positive energy carried over to the 17th where he knocked down another birdie. You may have had a tough day, but remaining positive can help propel you to a better afternoon or a better year. Whether it is hearing "great job" from your boss or finding leftover food in the break room, celebrate the small wins of your day and in the end you will put forward a better you.

This was originally posted April, 11 2016.